THIS MAJOR IS HIGHLY SELECTIVE; applications undergo review by faculty in the Department of Communication.
A minimum UC-transferable cumulative GPA of 3.70 is required for faculty review.
Required by end of fall before transfer:
Students must complete a minimum of four major prep courses from the seven listed above by the fall term prior to admission, and all courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- One course in introduction to mass and interpersonal communication
- One course in principles of public speaking
- One course in introduction to linguistics, meaning of communication, or culture in communication
- One statistics course
- Three courses from the following four
- Introductory psychology
- Introduction to American government/politics
- Introductory sociology
- Microeconomics or introduction to political economy
NOTE: If two courses are listed in ASSIST as equivalents of Comm Studies 10, then BOTH courses must be completed in order to satisfy this major requirement.
Applications will NOT be forwarded for faculty review if the minimum four courses (in this case five courses) are not completed by the end of the fall prior to transfer.
* Demand for this major significantly exceeds space available.
Back to L&S major preparation listing