FAQs from Admitted Transfer Students

Here are the most common questions we get from transfer applicants who have been admitted.

We also strongly suggest that you check out the New Student Checklist.

Q: Does UCLA allow students to defer to a subsequent term?

A: Not often, but students may request, in writing, a deferment to another term of entry if they have significant extenuating circumstances, such as active military duty. All deferral requests for Fall 2020 must be received no later than 11:59 pm PDT on Thursday, September 17, 2020.

Q: How do I accept my admission offer to UCLA?

A: Login to MyUCLA, UCLA's student portal.

Note: if you have not already done so, you'll need to first activate your UCLA Logon ID. Your Logon ID and password will be your key for logging in to secure sites at UCLA.

Q: What is the deadline for accepting?

A: Monday, June 1, 2020

Q: When is the housing application due?

A: Monday, June 1, 2020

For further information or answers to other housing questions, review the UCLA Housing website, or contact their office at (310) 825-4271.

Q: When do I need to turn in transcripts?

COVID-19 update

UC continues to request that transcripts be submitted by July 1 if at all possible.

Students have until the first day of class to submit official documents before their admission is rescinded.

A: There are three deadlines for sending transcripts you should be aware of:

  • We need official transcripts for your college course work taken through fall 2019 by June 1, 2020.
  • Then we need official transcripts through spring 2020 by July 1, 2020.
  • Finally, if you are taking any courses in the summer of 2020, we'll need official transcripts of that work by September 1, 2020.

Q: Can I change my major?

A: Any major changes at this point have to be discussed with a counselor once you arrive at UCLA. In most cases the decision to change your major is dependent on a variety of factors, such as whether you have taken the preparation courses needed for that field of study and whether the department you are interested has room available for an additional student. You will have the opportunity to discuss your situation with a counselor at New Student Orientation. You can also contact the department you wish to transfer to directly.

Q: How do I get a parking permit?

A: To get a parking permit, you need to apply at UCLA Parking. However, you should be aware that permits are not guaranteed. To find out more about the parking application process, contact UCLA Transportation: (310) 825-6918, parking@ts.ucla.edu.

Q: When will I receive my Financial Aid notification?

A: If you filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on time (on or before March 2), you should be able to access your Financial Aid/Scholarship Award Information right now.

Note: if you have not already done so, you'll need to first activate your UCLA Logon ID. Your Logon ID and password will be your key for logging in to secure sites at UCLA.

If you have additional questions about financial aid, contact Financial Aid and Scholarships: (310) 206-0400, Financial Aid message center.

Q: I received a D grade … or...
I am thinking of dropping a class….

A: You should notify us right away and let us know your situation.

Q: When can I meet with a counselor and sign up for courses at UCLA?

A: You will do this at New Student Orientation. After you send your SIR indicating that you do plan to register at UCLA, New Student & Transition Programs will send a list of Orientation session dates and a registration form. For more information on Orientation and the other options available to you if you are unable to attend Orientation, contact New Student &Transition Programs: (310) 206-6685, newstudents@college.ucla.edu.

Q: When is the Honors application due?

A: The honors application deadline is June 1, 2020. For further information, contact the Honors Program: (310) 825-1553.

Was your question answered? If not, please check our other FAQs or try the search engine at the top of every page.