To be considered for this major, a minimum of six preparatory courses must be completed by the spring before transfer, and a supplemental application must be submitted during the fall quarter in which you are admitted.
- Two courses in economics (economic geography, microeconomics, macroeconomics) 
- One course in statistics 
- Three courses, each of a different category, selected from:
- Two years of a modern foreign language
- A score of 4 or higher on the AP Microeconomics or Macroeconomics exam can be used in place of the micro/macroeconomics course.
- A score of 3 or higher on the AP Statistics exam can be used in place of the statistics course.
- A score of 3 or higher on any AP foreign language exam except Latin can be used in place of the foreign language courses. Note, however, that additional foreign language courses may be required after you transfer to UCLA.
- A score of 3 or higher on the AP Human Geography exam can be used in place of the cultural geography course.
- A score of 3 or higher on the AP World History exam can be used in place of the contemporary world history course.
- A score of 3 or higher on the AP Comparative Government exam can be used in place of the comparative politics course.
*Demand for this major significantly
exceeds space available. Students are classified as Pre-International Development Studies until they complete the preparation courses at UCLA.
back to L&S major preparation listing