THIS MAJOR IS HIGHLY SELECTIVE; applications undergo review by faculty in the Department of Communication.
A minimum UC-transferable cumulative GPA of 3.70 is required for faculty review. Students must complete a minimum of four major prep courses from the seven listed above by the fall term prior to admission, and all courses must be taken for a letter grade.
Important note on Advanced Placement scores:
AP scores cannot be used in place of the minimum four required courses but can, assuming you have met this requirement, be used as noted below to satisfy remaining preparation in statistics, psychology, or microeconomics.
- One course in introduction to mass and interpersonal communication studies
- One course in principles of public speaking
- One course in introduction to linguistics
- One statistics course 
- Three courses from the following four areas:
Students using ASSIST:
If two courses are listed in ASSIST as equivalents of Comm Studies 10, then BOTH courses must be completed in order to satisfy this major requirement. Applications will NOT be forwarded for faculty review if the minimum four courses (in this case five courses) are not completed by the end of the fall prior to transfer.
- A score of 4 or higher on the AP Statistics exam can be used in place of the statistics course.
- A score of 4 or higher on the AP Psychology exam can be used in place of the psychology course.
- A score of 4 or higher on the AP Microeconomics exam can be used in place of the microeconomics course.
* Demand for this major significantly exceeds space available.
back to L&S major preparation listing