FAQs from Admitted Freshmen

Here are the most common questions we get from freshman applicants who have been admitted.*

We also strongly suggest that you check out the New Bruins Checklist.

*The answers below assume you have been admitted to a fall term. If you have been admitted to a winter or spring term, please refer to your admission materials for deadlines.


Q: Does UCLA allow students to defer to a subsequent term?

A: Not often, but students may request, in writing, a deferment to another term of entry if they have significant extenuating circumstances, such as being called to active military duty.


Q: How do I accept my admission offer to UCLA?

A: Login to MyUCLA, UCLA's web portal.

Note: if you have not already done so, you'll need to first activate your UCLA Logon ID. Your Logon ID and password will be your key for logging in to secure sites at UCLA.


Q: What is the deadline for accepting?

A: Monday, May 1, 2018


Q: When is the housing application due?

A: Monday, May 1, 2018

For further information or answers to other housing questions, review the UCLA Housing website, or contact their office at (310) 825-4271.


Q: Do I have to take the UC Analytical Writing Placement Exam?

A: You will need to take the Entry Level Writing Placement Exam (AWPE) unless you have one of the following scores or grades:

  • 30 or higher on the ACT Combined English/Writing test; or
  • 680 or higher on the old-format (prior to March 2016) SAT Reasoning Test, Writing section; or
    Note: the new-format SAT cannot be used in place of the AWPE.
  • 3 or higher on either Advanced Placement (AP) Examination in English; or
  • 5 or higher on an International Baccalaureate High Level English A exam
  • 6 or higher on an International Baccalaureate Standard Level English A exam; or
  • a C or better grade in a transferable college-level course in English composition.

If you have any of the above scores/grades (and you have not already done so), please send us your official records. If we do not have your official test scores (or college transcript showing your English course and grade), you will not be able to enroll in any English composition courses in the fall quarter.


Q: When do I need to turn in transcripts?

A: We need your final high school transcript(s) by July 1, 2018.* If you take courses over the summer, we will need transcripts for that work by September 1.

* If your transcripts and test scores are not received by July 15, 2018, a hold will be placed on your record. This will prevent you from enrolling in classes and receiving services from the university.

Q: Can I change my major?

A: Changing majors within the College of Letters and Science is usually not a problem. Talk to a counselor when you attend New Student Orientation, or visit the College when you begin to attend classes.

Changing from or to a major in one of the other colleges (Arts, Engineering, Theater/Film/Television) is more difficult as these programs have specific admission requirements. Contact the department once you enroll at UCLA.


Q: How do I get a parking permit?

A: To get a parking permit, you need to apply at UCLA Parking. However, you should be aware that permits are not guaranteed. To find out more about the parking application process, contact UCLA Transportation: (310) 825-9871, transportation@ts.ucla.edu.


Q: When will I receive my Financial Aid notification?

A: If you filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on time (on or before March 2), you should be able to access your Financial Aid/Scholarship Award Information right now.

Note: if you have not already done so, you'll need to first activate your UCLA Logon ID. Your Logon ID and password will be your key for logging in to secure sites at UCLA.

If you have additional questions about financial aid, contact Financial Aid and Scholarships: (310) 206-0400, Financial Aid message center.


Q: I received a D grade in the fall semester … or...
I am thinking of dropping a class….

A: If the course schedule you gave us on your application changes, if you receive any grade lower than C, or if your senior year unweighted GPA drops below 3.0, you should notify us right away. We will review these changes in the context of your overall record and let you know whether they affect your admission. You may be required to take additional classes in the summer, or in some cases, your offer of admission can be withdrawn. Generally, the sooner you let us know of changes, the more options you will have.


Q: When can I meet with a counselor and sign up for courses at UCLA?

A: You will do this at New Student Orientation. After you return your SIR indicating that you do plan to register at UCLA, New Student & Transition Programs will send a list of Orientation session dates and a registration form. For more information on Orientation and the other options available to you if you are unable to attend Orientation, contact the New Student &Transition Programs: (310) 206-6685, newstudents@college.ucla.edu.


Q: When is the Honors Program application due?

A: The honors application deadline is Monday, May 1, 2018. For further information, contact the Honors Program: (310) 825-1553.


Was your question answered in our FAQ?