UC Entry Level Writing Requirement
All incoming students must meet the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR) before they can enroll in English Composition and many other courses. Before attending UCLA, ELWR can be satisfied in the following ways:
- 30 or higher on the ACT English Language Arts test; or
- 680 or higher on the old-format (prior to March 2016) SAT Reasoning Test, Writing section; or
Note: the new-format SAT cannot be used to satisfy the ELWR.
- 3 or higher on either Advanced Placement (AP) exam in English; or
- 6 or higher on an International Baccalaureate Standard Level English A: Literature, or Language and Literature exam; or
- 5 or higher on an International Baccalaureate Higher Level English A: Literature, or Language and Literature exam; or
- a C or better grade in a transferable college-level course in English composition.
If you have any of the above scores/grades (and you have not already done so), please send us your official records.
If you have not met the requirement, you should plan to take the UC Analytical Writing Placement Exam (AWPE). For those who live in California, the AWPE will be offered at various California locations on Saturday, May 13, 2017. In early April, all incoming California freshmen who have not satisfied the ELWR will receive an e-mail or letter directing them to the testing center where they can take the exam.
- If you take the AWPE on May 13, check MyUCLA in late June to see whether you have satisfied the ELWR. If you have not, you will receive information from your counselor at New Student Orientation regarding how to satisfy it at UCLA.
- If you are not able to take the AWPE on May 13, you can take it at UCLA in the fall. But remember that, unless you have earned one of the other scores/grades mentioned above, you will not be able to enroll in English Composition or some other courses your first term at UCLA.
If you would like more information or have questions, visit the AWPE Web site or contact the UCLA Writing Programs Office at (310) 206-1145.