FAQs for Current Transfer Applicants

Here are the most common questions we get from transfer applicants who are completing or have already turned in their applications.

Q: How do I find out a school's College Board code?

A: College Board codes can be found online:

UCLA's code

To send AP scores to UCLA, use code 4837.

Q: When are the fall term applications due?

A: The usual deadline is November 30 of the prior year. (For example, the deadline for Fall Quarter 2021 is November 30, 2020.)

Q: Can you send me a fee waiver for the UC application?

A: The fee waiver is built into the online application form. When you get to the step where you submit your application you will be able to apply for a fee waiver. Just follow the directions and they will guide you through.

Q: My school does not use grades of A, B, C, D, F. How do I list my grades on the application?

A: Always list grades as they appear on your official transcript. UC evaluators have access to all college catalogs and will review the grading system and convert accordingly.

Q: How do I convert semester units into quarter units?

A: You do not need to convert your units; enter them exactly as they appear on your official transcript.

Exception: if you are filling out the paper application form you should multiply your semester unit totals by 1.5 (e.g. 60 semester units x 1.5 = 90 quarter units) to list your overall quarter unit totals (items 53 and 55 only).

Q: If I am not admitted under my first choice major, will UCLA review me for my alternate major?

A: Since transfer applicants are reviewed based largely upon major-specific preparation course work, UCLA does not usually review transfer applicants for any other than their first choice majors unless you are a part of the Transfer Alliance Program (TAP).

If you are willing to be considered for another major you can list an alternate major, but listing an alternate major does not guarantee that you will be considered for that major if you are not admitted to your first choice major.

If you are part of the Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) and are not selected for admission to your first-choice major, we will also review your application for an alternate major. This review is subject to the following restrictions:

  • Your alternate major must have been specified on your original UC application at the time you submitted it. Requests to add an alternate major after you submit will not be considered.

Q: Where do I get information on Financial Aid or scholarships?

A: Some scholarship information is listed in the UC Application, but most financial aid is dependent on the amount of money the school has for a particular quarter, and the needs of the students attending. The first step in finding out whether you qualify for financial aid is to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form between January 1 and and March 2 for aid beginning in the following fall term.

For more information, contact the UCLA Financial Aid Office.

Q: How do I know which courses from my California Community College are transferable to UCLA?

A: All of the courses that are transferable between your community college and UCLA will be listed in an articulation agreement. The articulation agreements for all California Community Colleges are available for review in the Transfer Center at your community college, or online at ASSIST.

Q: I am in senior standing at my four-year institution; can I disregard some of my courses so that I am eligible to apply to your school?

A: UCLA only admits transfer students from 4-year institutions who are at the junior level (minimum 60/90 semester/quarter units; maximum 86/129 semester/quarter units). We do not allow students to disregard any transferable coursework. (You must report all attempted college work, even if you do not think it is transferable or do not want the credit.) Therefore, a senior at a 4-year institution is not likely to be admitted.

To get an idea of the number of units you may have if you are attending an institution other than a UC campus (all courses are transferable between UC campuses), you should review your coursework and compare it to the courses offered at UCLA. You will find our course descriptions in the UCLA General Catalog. If your own review indicates that the transferable number of units is within the range required (60-90 semester, 86-129 quarter), you are eligible to apply.

If you decide to apply, however, do not omit any college work from your application, even if you are positive it is not transferable. (Non-transferable courses/units will be removed by a UC Evaluator.)

Q: I'm an international student, What tests do I need to take?

A: International students whose language of instruction is not English are required to take either the Test of English as as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

More on TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, UCLA's placement exam

Was your question answered? If not, please check our other FAQs or try the search engine at the top of every page.