FAQs from Current Freshman Applicants

Here are the most common questions we get from freshmen who are completing or have already turned in their applications.

Q: How do I find out a school's College Board code?

A: College Board codes and ACT codes can be found online:

UCLA's codes

To send SAT or AP scores to UCLA, use code 4837.

To send ACT scores, use code 0448.

Q: When are the fall term applications due?

A: All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on November 30th. However, we strongly encourage you to file the application at least a day or two in advance of the deadline in order to avoid any last minute complications.

Q: Where do I send transcripts or letters of recommendation?

A: UCLA does not require letters of recommendation or transcripts during the admission selection process. Our review is based on self-reported information provided on the UC Application form. In the event that additional information or materials are necessary, we will contact you directly with a specific request.

Students who are admitted (and who intend to enroll) are required to submit official transcripts; instructions about where and when to send transcripts are included in the admission packet.

Letters of recommendation may only be requested as part of the supplemental application process of a specialty school (i.e. School of the Arts and Architecture, Herb Alpert School of Music, School of Nursing, and School of Theater, Film, and Television.)

Q: Can you send me a fee waiver for the UC application?

A: The fee waiver is built into the UC application form. Before submitting your application, instructions will be provided to apply for a fee waiver.

Q: My school does not use grades of A, B, C, D, F. How do I list my grades on the application?

AA: On the application, you will be asked to specify a grading system for each school you attend. Make sure to indicate that your school uses a grading system other than A-B-C-D-F. Then, list your grades exactly as they will appear on your official transcript. A UC evaluator will review your application and translate these marks accordingly.

Q: Will my admission be affected if I can't take my ACT/SAT exam until the first week of December?

A: We will consider scores from ACT and SAT tests taken through the first week of December, but you must request that they be sent to a UC campus directly from the testing agency. Note that ACT and SAT results sent to one UC campus will be accessible by all other UC campuses you’ve applied to.

Applicants are strongly encouraged to log back into their application and update the self-reported test scores as soon as the testing agency makes them available. The official score report will be used to verify what was reported.

We cannot guarantee that ACT and SAT tests taken later will be included in the selection process for admission.

Q: If I am not admitted under my first choice major, will UCLA review me for my alternate major?

A: Within the College of Letters and Science, the major an applicant chooses is not a factor in the review process at the freshman level. Otherwise, we guarantee review of first-choice majors only.

UCLA does not normally consider the alternate choices of applicants who applied to majors in the other schools (Engineering, Arts, etc.)

Q: Where do I get information on financial aid?

A: Some scholarship information is listed in the UC Application, but most financial aid is dependent on the amount of available money the school has for a particular quarter and the needs of the students attending. The first step in finding out whether you qualify for financial aid is to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form between January 1st and March 2nd for aid beginning in the following fall term.

For more information, contact the UCLA Financial Aid Office.

Q: Where in the application do I list college courses that I have taken while still in high school?

A: After you enter your high school course work, you will be asked to provide information about any college courses you have taken or plan to take.

Q: I attended school for thirteen years in a foreign country (Korea, Great Britain...). How do I fit my years of schooling into the five columns provided?

A: If you attended school outside of the United States where the primary and secondary education totals thirteen years, list your thirteenth year of course work in the 12th grade section, and work backward through the 11th, 10th, 9th, and 7th /8th grade sections.

Q: When I list my courses on the application, how do I know what to list in the honors box?

A: The honors box on the UC Application form is used to designate a course for which an extra grade point is awarded (for a grade of C or better). There are four types of honors courses:

  • Advanced placement (AP)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
    Only applies to higher level IB courses.
  • College courses (CL)
    Only applies to transferable college courses.
  • UC-approved school-designated honors-level courses (HL)

You should mark the honors box (AP, IB, CL, HL) as appropriate for all of the above.

UCLA gives more weight in the review to students who have taken AP courses and completed the exam with a score of 3, 4, or 5.

Q: I'm an international student. Can I take the TOEFL or IELTS instead of the SAT or ACT?

A: International applicants are not exempt from the ACT/SAT exam requirement. All freshman applicants must take either the ACT (plus the writing section) or the SAT (including the essay portion, if taken March 2016 or later) by the December of the year they file the application.

Note: Applicants to the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science also are strongly encouraged to take the following SAT Subject Tests: Math Level 2 and a science test (Biology E/M, Chemistry, or Physics) that is closely related to the applicant's intended major.

International students whose language of instruction is not English are also required to take either the Test of English as as Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

More on applying as an international applicant

Was your answered in our FAQ?